Friday, September 11, 2009

more blog drama

I thought having my little baby blog would be harmless. I was wrong.

I wrote a post a few days back voicing my disappointment at being so pointedly ignored by my mother's side of the family and my parents. Someone assumed the post was about them and (in my opinion) completely overreacted. Was my post overly emotional? Yes. Did I say something harsh? Yes. At a few days post partum when an entire group of 'family' had ignored the birth of my daughter, I was hurt and wrote some things I would never have said face to face. I was aware that I needed to think about it before I said anything to anyone, that's why I didn't say anything. I wanted to go back and read it after I'd had a day or two to think about it.

I don't really feel bad about posting it publicly either. The person who overreacted wasn't who I was talking about in my post. I had even talked to her on the phone a week or so before Adelaide was born and told her that I didn't expect to hear from her or her sisters after the birth because I knew it would be hard for them. Apparently that slipped her mind. Or she thought I was lying. Or something.

So she emailed the post with her (completely illogical and unfounded) comments to everyone in the family and sent it by hard copy to anyone without an email address (or so she says). Now she's taken to commenting on my wall on other things that have nothing to do with her.

I understand her sister just lost a pregnancy, and I understand that's hard for them. It's hard for anyone. If they want to use me as a place to focus their anger, go for it. I'm not one to get upset over crap I read on the internet. I don't generally assume that everything I read is about me either.

Is that abnormal? Should I make more assumptions and have more emotional reactions to stuff on the internet? I don't think so.

So I've been debating what I should do. Do I just leave the blog all hidden and cryptic or do I open it up and let whoever wants to be upset go nuts? At this point I'm not even sure I owe an apology, given that I clearly wasn't speaking to the people who got upset. What would that apology sound like?

"I'm so sorry reading comprehension wasn't taught at your school."

I'm not apologizing for something I didn't do, that sounds too much like lying. And apologizing for her mistake is just insincere and a little condescending (not that I'm above that while fighting with Mirus, though I'm really trying to get better about it). So what would I even apologize for?

Since the post I've spoken with my mother and I think I understand better what's going on. So I'm planning on apologizing for that tonight. Apologizing for what I actually did wrong. I'm game for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment